Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 1 : Tuesday January 1st, 2013




"Just press play!"

Those are the words of Tony Horton, the trainer you'll get to know well when you watch the P90X videos. I like Tony. He has good energy and keeps me entertained. I think that really helps when watching an exercise video.

Today we took our measurements. Mine are as follows:

Weight        - 145 lbs.
Chest          - 37.5 inches
Waist          - 30.5 inches
Hips            - 37.5 inches
Right Thigh  - 22 inches
Left Thigh    - 22 inches
Right Arm    - 11 inches
Left Arm      - 11 inches

We also took before "goodbye" photos. I love that - goodbye photos! Goodbye to the untoned, chunky version of myself and hello to a tighter, toner, better me! I can't wait.

Since we had been anticipating starting this up for a few weeks, we were both anxious to begin the program. Although they recommend you perform a fitness test first, we didn't. My hubby is the type of person who just likes to get started without reading instructions and such (you should see him trying to build something from Ikea!). Because of this, he didn't want to do a "stinking fitness test" and said "let's just start!". There are different versions of P90X, (honestly, I haven't figured out the differences yet) but we are doing the "classic" version.

So, we just put the DVD in, pressed play and got started!

The first day is chest and back, followed by Ab Ripper X. As a warning, you should have a notebook handy so you can write down what you did or put it into your fitness guide. (We weren't quite prepared for this and had to grab something to write on midway through.) I agree with Tony that it's a good idea to write your weights and reps down. By documenting what you did, you can easily track your progress and see how far you have come.

Today was hard. Honestly, it varied a lot between push-ups and pull-ups. Since we don't have a regular pull up bar yet (for fear of damaging the door frame where we are renting), we are using bands that hook between the door easily. The bands work okay to simulate the pull-up feel, but aren't the best. I think they should be higher too. Right now they seem pretty low when we pull on them.

The exercises are done 4 at a time, for a total of 12. There are short water breaks in between, which I highly recommend you do! You'll need and want them. The 12 exercises are repeated, but the order is switched up this time.

This first day was humbling. I couldn't even do some of the push-ups. It was sad. Really sad. But you know what? At least I'm trying. At least I hit play and did my best.

PS - I normally read EVERYTHING in full before starting something like this, but I'm winging it so far. I'm embracing the surprises of what the next day will bring. Not sure how long that will last, but for now, it's working for me. 

Oh yeah... only 89 more days left! I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment